If you have had sex without using contraception, or your contraception method has failed – for example a forgotten oral contraceptive pill or a burst condom- then there is always a possibility that you could be pregnant. If you want to avoid pregnancy after having sex without contraception, emergency contraception is available. Click here for more info
For most women the first sign of pregnancy is a missed period
Other symptoms can include
- Feeling or being sick (at any time of day)
- Breast changes and breast tenderness
- Needing to pee more often
- Having a strange taste in your mouth (some describe this as a metallic taste)
- Going off or craving certain foods
- Hightened awareness of smells
- Change in vaginal discharge without pain or irritation.
Not all women will experience all these symptoms - you may experience some or none of them. If you think you might be pregnant it’s important to take a test.
How soon should I get a pregnancy test?
Early signs of pregnancy can be hard to spot. If you think you could be pregnant, it's always best to take a pregnancy test as soon as possible.
For more information visit